Tuesday, August 22, 2023

bottles of memories


you drained the bottle of San Miguel beer

as if it was tap water

showing me, your first cousin,

how you have grown:


loud arguments for women's rights,

with cigarette pack (ignoring the surgeon

general's warning)

& a swagger pose for an 18 year old


i joined you and our cousins 

by grabbing a bottle of beer myself,

proud to show off that I can hold both the beer

& lively talk (a rite of passage as a teen)


the beer tasted a bitter lager to me

but the ice made me gulp 

each swig a little easier & bolder


it was never the bottles of beer though

or uncle's signature pork & beans dish 

that made this family gathering remarkable


our fathers (all 4 brothers) were gathered

around the table, expertly brandishing

the golden beer bottles

(we are poor imitators of their beer rowdiness)

with their eyes teary with mirth

as their wives 

chatted in another huddle, exhanging gossip


our fathers are the heartbeat &

life of this party


it was the jokes & silly advices

(repeatedly ex/changed over the years)

it was the sloppy conversations

(he said, she said versions)

it was the fake quarrels & rousing debates

(challenges issued & done)

my father's belly laughter

(young, rippling of energy)

that echoed in the night 


that i still remember 

long after our fathers

(all the 4 brothers)

have died, 

& yes after our

silbings & 2 aunts have died too


now, you (still a proud 

single first cousin) quit smoking & Scientology 

& rowdy arguments


we don't order San Miguel beer 

but sip our glasses of water with cheers

as we catch up with the lost years

in between 


the chasm is wide

but we warm up in our distinct sing-song vowels-

also, the family jokes still make us giggle


your face is soft sadness of sunset

and my hands are looking more like my

mother's 

as our voices fade, holding on to lost

letters



Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - Bottled Poetry.   Join us when the pub doors open at 3pm EST about what is brewing inside your bottle.  Thanks for the visit and comments.


26 comments:

  1. Extraordinary poetry ... incredibly detailed, so much so that a novel, a movie, a play might be created from your colorful story/poem. Brava, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such good poetry... telling a story of memories. I can almost see this as a message in a bottle from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeously rendered, Grace! I especially love; "it was the jokes & silly advices (repeatedly ex/changed over the years)" .. the emotions here are palpable and resonate strongly ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn’t help smiling at your ‘bottles of memories’, Grace, as my husband enjoys San Miguel. I love the way the memories flow, set free by the bottle of San Miguel. Adolescent drinking is a distant memory for me, especially as I rarely drink alcohol, but I can relate to your poem, these lines especially:
    ‘the beer tasted a bitter lager to me
    but the ice made me gulp
    each swig a little easier & bolder’
    and the wistfulness of these lines:
    ‘your face is soft sadness of sunset
    and my hands are looking more like my
    mother's
    as our voices fade, holding on to lost
    letters’.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you popped some bottles and brought to life such rowdy manly family days - I missed them as the poem drew nearer to the present and at the end the future is already foreshadowing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Grace! I'm overwhelmed by this poem. I think it might be your best. Your brought these family gatherings and passing of time to life. I love it!
    "our fathers are the heartbeat &
    life of this party" 💙

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful.....I can so identify with the "family reunion" you write about here....when we were younger....and now when we are the "elders" and "my hands are looking more like my
    mother's ". Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so touching, Grace... filled with such warmth and memory. Thank you for letting me take part in this! I love the "soft sadness of sunset"... what a beautiful line.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bottled up memories, spilling wistfully into the present. Beautifully poignant, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great heartfelt bottle memory, Grace. We do come around in time. Sometimes after others have passed on. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are my favorite lines:

    “your face is soft sadness of sunset
    and my hands are looking more like my
    mother's”

    I definitely felt the reminiscence and the passing of time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the memory distilled into a bottle of beer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luv how you these memories for us
    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is beautiful, a wonderful poem full of memory and love for your family

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a good poem, good at all levels. I think it's replaced the previous favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How nice to re-live all the good times of family gatherings with the added rowdiness common in such gatherings. The memories are treasured happenings to remember them by. It certainly cannot be the same without the old folks around!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your write, the prompt was great, you did well with your choice. Thank you. I winced at having ice in your beer, teens trying to do it right.
    My dad also had three brothers, my older male cousins have died, my favorite cousin is older, she is trying still to recover from having two broken hips at age xx, well, she is four years older than me, widowed for several years.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely flow to this Grace a bottle full of memories ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  21. A rare uncasking of family vintage, Grace, distilled with such clarity and warmth over time. Really a lovely poem. Booze took many in my extended family, time the rest: but yes, for we who still share old moments together, time is surely an illusion. Certainly in the distillation of a poem. Great poem for a wonderful challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. difficulty. yes indeed bye bye

    ReplyDelete
  23. You uncorked many memories here. I could see and hear it all! I raise a glass of water to you and your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an amazing journey you take us on in this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So beautifully effective, Kim. Teared-up and with a lump in my throat. Your poem worked to plummet us into your past. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!