Tuesday, July 25, 2023

wake up & touch the grass


i wake up in the morning waiting for the sun

to soften me, soft as linen, softer as mud pie


my fingertips are tapping, checking the blue sketch

of canvas, granite silver stones, the studs, the slow motion


of time, rocking me to stupor, here in my pink dress, white

socks, shoes off, floating, i twist my body to bend


into the hourglass of sweet complicity & simplicity

but this solid bed of recycled plastic is hard, my thoughts


run grey, spiral to crawl, crash, cramp__

i cannot move to lift myself off this loneliness, this rabbit hole_


tell me you care, tell me to touch green grass,

tell me to get off the phone & social media,   


this body swells of longing for rain, soil & seeds,

sounds of birdsongs, the smell of pine trees 


i want to drown in my dreams of clouds, as the sun 

softens me, soft as linen, softer as mud pie, sinking to earth 




María BerríoClosed Geometry, 2022, 
paper collage and watercolor on linen, 72 1⁄8 × 90".



Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - We are writing Ekphrastic Poetry based on the 3 artwork selected in the prompt.   Join us when the pub doors open at 3pm EST.  Thanks for the visits and comments.

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely interpretation of the Berrio painting, Grace, and you’ve captured its muted tones in your words, particularly in ‘soft as linen’, ‘blue sketch of canvas’ and the pink dress. I like the change of mood, which turns on the lines:
    ‘but this solid bed of recycled plastic is hard, my thoughts
    run grey, spiral to crawl, crash, cramp’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " i twist my body to bend into the hourglass of sweet complicity & simplicity but this solid bed of recycled plastic is hard," .. sigh .. this is such a deeply poignant write, Grace 💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing piece, bringing in details of the painting all the while taking me to a place of rest, reflection and appreciation for the real world. I love the plea of " tell me you care, tell me to touch green grass,
    /tell me to get off the phone & social media", (putting a modern spin on the image) and the gorgeous phrases that frame the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoy the modern spin you’ve put along with the dreamlike quality of her art. Important messages to remember the natural world and be considerate.👏🏻 Interestingly, I am reading a book about the epidemic of plastic pollution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, Grace. Captures the mood of longing and stillness and dreaminess of the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so poignant to daydreams
    Hapy Tuesday

    much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have portrayed a woman who has become a slave to modern day technology and its trappings. She craves the peace of nature and finding comfort in the grass. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have portrayed a woman who has become a slave to modern day technology and its trappings. She craves the peace of nature and finding comfort in the grass. Lovely!

    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done, Grace. I hope this is not autobiographical! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a dreamy and contemplative take on the image, a deep sense of longing for the full-senses touch of nature in the midst of modern digital life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautifully written, Grace, beautiful, but with sadness. The swaying rhythm and sounds combined with the loneliness this person feels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous painting you chose to write to and I can imagine this person thinking such things as they lay there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i want to drown in my dreams of clouds, as the sun
    softens me, soft as linen, softer as mud pie, sinking to earth

    Great close Grace! We wrote fairly on the same theme seemingly some unguarded moments of sadness!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another woman torn so many ways she just wants to lie down and let it all wash over her. Full of pastel tones and silences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First reaction was how incredibly 'rich' in tone this is! I love these words 'the hourglass of sweet complicity & simplicity' before you sink into the 'solid hardness.' Thank you for an amazing challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate your nuanced interpretation of Berrio's artwork...beautifully complementary! Thanks for an interesting prompt, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful interpretation. Soft as linen your words in bringing this image to life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much not was I was expecting - the painting reminded me of Ophelia but your interpretation was lyrical but thoroughly modern...

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!