Thursday, July 16, 2026

firestorm

slight smoke hangs in the air

the sky swallows

its blue, spits out grey


i water the pots of zinnias -

scorched leaves,

delicate buds - pinks, reds, oranges -


their thirst no different

from my own


my back strains with the effort

soon I can move only

gingerly


so this is what it means

to grow old:


the body keeping time

in careful steps,

while the heart

still leans toward summer


my spine pulls taut,

an osteoporosis warning

still, I lift my chest


summer has returned - 

heat, humidity, fires in the sky

i stand 

a maple tree


filled with orange-lit fog,

Toss in the wind—rack up the muttering sky.*


i root myself   

i hold my body high

grateful


for another season

of long, hot days—


for sunlight still warming

my shoulders,


for flowers

that insist on blooming


for whatever time remains -

to stand 

to weather 

to live


*A Thunderstorm by Archibald Lampman


Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - OpenLinkNight #411- Hosted by Mish.  Thanks for your visits and comments.  Happy 15h year anniversary dVerse!!!!   


19 comments:

  1. To grow old and still have nature, that is what counts, and the seasons... i could really feel that heat of summer (we have a few very hot days at the moment)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So moving, Grace. A beautiful expression of hope, gratitude and resistance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful lines here: the sky swallows - its blue, spits out grey…and rack up the muttering sky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem 💜

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now the resilience of the zinnias continuing to flower and you straightening your back moving on
    Bravo

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the determined will exhibited in this. the flowers and seasons give hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great poem. Sorry to hear about all your smoke in the Northeast!
    It has been floating our way it seems.
    I love this line...
    so this is what it means

    to grow old:



    the body keeping time

    in careful steps,

    while the heart

    still leans toward summer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh beautiful and I can very much relate to it My favourite "slight smoke hangs in the air, the sky swallows its blue, spits out grey"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old age is to be expected and I sympathize, Grace, but that widespread smoke is something we didn't see coming in our youth and is a threat we didn't expect to be dealing with - stay safe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes as we grow older nature has a way of reminding us of our aches and pains. The sun warms our spirit and the stormy weather reminds us of our arthritis! Beautiful writing Grace. I can relate ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  11. While we age, the world around us ages towards something constantly younger, perhaps that in itself is something to stare at wonder. Well penned~

    ReplyDelete
  12. "i root myself
    i hold my body high
    grateful..."

    To say this is growing old...with Grace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and wise poem - wonderfully meditative and thoughtful - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful picture drawn in words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Grace, having to go through the familiar routine just as before. It makes growing old to be more fulfilling. Love the common things mentioned here!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate the honesty, hope and strength in your poem. Sending these lines back to you in appreciation.
    the body keeping time

    in careful steps,

    while the heart

    still leans toward summer

    ReplyDelete
  17. The last comment was from Ali - Flashlightbatteries.blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful poem. Love how you tied the weather with our bodies getting older. We are in a weather alert due to the smoke from your country's forest fires. We were advised to stay inside because of the bad air. I live in Wisconsin near Lake Michigan, and when I looked down the road, where a large section of trees stood tall. It's like they are standing in a fog. I cannot imagine being up close like you.
    Take care... 1Manview

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your poem better than his! Well done.

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!