Thursday, July 30, 2026

peach

to think that

i could be

first fruit in Eve's garden

amidst star-struck magnolias 

& green-eyed apples


i could be this-

seducing you with my

sun-yellow skin, my juicy velvet

nectar, my sticky cleft body

in your palm


i could make you

*hungry for the sun,*

make you forget

dark music, darker shadows,

the darkest night when the moon

is only a curved pin


but instead

i offer you a calm moment—


peeling back my skin

against your fingers,

dripping with sweat


i am cool hand,

settled wine glass, shaved ice,

slow slow dance


reminding you


beneath fuzz and dusty skin

is one hard stone pit


black earth

sand & silt 

growing sweetness


honeyed by bees

scarred by wasps




Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - OpenLinkNight.  Wishing you a good summer!  Thank you for your visits and comments.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh, Grace, we both wrote about the Garden of Eden, you about Eve and I about Lilith! I love that you have written from the peach’s point of view, given it a peachy voice, and set it ‘amidst star-struck magnolias & green-eyed apples’. I especially love the lines:
    ‘i could be this-
    seducing you with my
    sun-yellow skin, my juicy velvet
    nectar, my sticky cleft body
    in your palm’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace this is an intoxicating poem just like how I find the aroma of peaches intoxicating! It has also reminded me that the finest peach pie I ever tasted was many years ago when I traveled to the States and met up with a fellow poet who I’d met here on dVerse.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sensuous, Grace, as peaches are
    "seducing you with my
    sun-yellow skin, my juicy velvet
    nectar, my sticky cleft body
    in your palm"
    Off to have a cold shower now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful poem.
    "honeyed by bees
    scarred by wasps"
    Both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh this is so beautiful and I never thought a peach could be so mischievous... I would like to go to this
    ... Little Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful poem, Grace. I love the senses you bring into the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eric here. i do believe the act of eating is sacred, but it is never more obviously so than when peach is it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sensuous imagery. You really make the peach stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i could be this-
    seducing you with my
    sun-yellow skin, my juicy velvet
    nectar, my sticky cleft body
    in your palm

    Wonderful round up of the peach, Grace! I often wonder how they view us humans if they could speak!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the imagery and the sensual language, and the air of the forbidden ! Well done! JIM

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!