Wednesday, November 22, 2023

ode to a banana

 

my hand holds

you as a slice of sunshine

folded skin

yellowed as honeydew


your pulp is not sulty as a plum

nor mysterious as dragon fruit

you are a yellow stripe in a strawberry field

of exotic and colorful produce

plucked & peeled

you are my comfort snack

as a well-worn shirt

i wear 

through all the 4 seasons


many will have you fried in

sugar & cinnamon 

or boiled as a steamed fish

or mixed in breakfast oats

mashed

you are home made bread


here is the tea:

i prefer you

fresh and simple as a daisy 

bringing me

easy cares as light as butter-

fly wings




Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - OpenLinkNight where I am hosting.    Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.    Thanks for your visits and comments.

17 comments:

  1. So we can surmise that you truly like bananas Grace?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do remember the prompt we did so many years ago, a great reminder of what we used to write... great inspiration I think, love all the aspects of the banana, I do have half a banana in my breakfast cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deftly done with genuine affection. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is lovely! I especially admire; "your pulp is not sulty as a plum nor mysterious as dragon fruit you are a yellow stripe in a strawberry field of exotic and colorful produce." ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all food poems, so lovely! Recently, I made banana fufu for the first time and it was the best ever, thank you for reminding me of it with the poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer bananas fresh and simple as they come. Now I want one! Thank you for the tasty introduction to OLN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Verse to drive us (to) bananas! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bananas, especially with peanut butter, or in oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree bananas just as themselves. A lovely tribute to an old favourite fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes i do relate to the versatile fruit enjoyed in its simplicity.
    Peel and chomp away😊

    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much🖤love

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done bananas proud, Grace...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bananas and eat one a day so from now on will always think of this wonderful ode and especially
    " a yellow stripe in a strawberry field"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you speak to the banana. Especially the line "Here is the tea" .. like telling it to you straight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it. And I think Neruda would have liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the goodness of a banana in one delicious poem: perfect, Grace.

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!