Tuesday, October 3, 2023

the show, the frontman, at their very best

 

when the showlights are blazing bright

its time to put on cryptic smile

your inked arms are love letters, sight

on your fighter's stance.  this trial-

your art, your music are your knights

to knock down the rumors with style-

your band is the greatest- that's right 

(&) you're the best - chameleon with guile


waxing the theatre floor with green

grass, crooning to sky of shadows

there's a mirror of you, not clean

shaven, but stark naked, no prose

to mask real fear, loss, the scene

to question our life's highs and lows 

there are no answers in the screen

we left, beating hearts, with caws from crows



In response to the poem, When I'm among the Blaze of Lights

by Siefried Sassoon


Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - Dead Poet's Society, hosted by Kim M. Russell.

Join us when the pub doors open by 3pm EST.


11 comments:

  1. It is amazing how different all our responses to the same poem came out. I love the way you weave in the story of the frontman in the theatre: waxing the theatre floor with green grass

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeously composed, Grace! I echo Bjorn's sentiments... one of many things that I love about poetry is how each of us shed new light on a subject that resonates with us. I am especially moved by; "there's a mirror of you, not clean shaven, but stark naked, no prose to mask real fear, loss, the scene to question our life's highs and lows." ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s three very different, very unique poems in response to Sassoon. I love the brightness of your poem, Grace, with the ‘the showlights … blazing bright’, in which ‘inked arms are love letters’, and the change to ‘stark naked, no prose / to mask real fear’ and those cawing crows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me to an outdoor amphitheater… I heard the birds ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  5. "your inked arms are love letters"... "waxing the theatre floor with green grass"... Such beautiful imagery! The last line is amazing. What an interesting response poem to Sassoon... I really enjoyed this. Wonderfully crafted, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "your inked arms are love letters, sight
    on your fighter's stance."
    Bravo!!! Nice one.

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well written Grace, I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very different take which it took several readings to get my head around Grace, but a strong and novel response to Sasoons work...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. To me the whole poem reads as "a cryptic smile," one that reflects the corrosive effects on the soul that tries "to mask real fear, loss, the scene/to question our life's highs and lows" under showlights. Love this sharp response to Sasoon's poem, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the expansive imaginative voice of this, the metaphors call heart and emotion into play.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful response to the prompt. Grace!

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!