Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Curse of the roses



My petals eaten
by bugs & mulched
   by slugs
I am still canvas
beneath harsh summer sun
In my singular stubbornness
my one small bud
opens to sun's warmth
framed amidst
tattered & scattered pieces
Snow white crown
- perfect -
Then the frenzy begins
& buzzing
   & buzzing of insects
until petals are dull
leaves blackening to soot
Do I move to another ground?
Throw my pollen
afar, go
where the southern wind
scatters me
Pull up my roots
My rosehip oil is divine
Break this curse &
replant me,
where I can
hear the hummingbirds
& rain
          drops
   & rain
             drops


Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - Poetics, Movement hosted by Amaya. Please visit dVerse blog for the full details.   Thank you.

13 comments:

  1. I admire the ‘singular stubbornness’ of the one small bud in the midst of the chaos of the ‘tattered & scattered pieces’ (I love the internal rhyme here) and the frenzied buzzing of insects. The image of the petals ‘blackening to soot’ left me feeling bereft – but the raindrops at the end gave me hope for the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plants have little option but to move by staying right at home or where they are replanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. So much buzzing about nothing. Stink bugs, I presume. And politics. Blessed is she who listens to the rain, and not afraid to fall with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So even roses have worries. I'll have to pay more attention to mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An uproot to find new ones can be good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the wanting to be moved where you can hear the hummingbirds and raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would we do without roses and buzzing bees... The cycle of life goes on and on...
    I am still canvas
    beneath harsh summer sun

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the flower had a moment of peace:
    "Snow white crown
    - perfect -
    Then the frenzy begins"
    The insects are voracious this year. Have never seen them so frenzied before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some may wish to move but cannot, yet with a single rosebud and divine oil, there's hope for fresh life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the plea from the rosebud, I'd be tempted to replant her in another spot if she was this unhappy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beauty in a poem that brings the magnificent rose to life conveying the turmoil that it must feel in the effort to bring that beauty to all that would see it.

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!