Thursday, October 1, 2026

autumn's surly notes

brown & orange tattered leaves fall on the ground

afternoon sun lingers on-


wind is slow dancing while geese head south

the hours are flipping fast


a heron stands stone-stilled along Credit River-

salmon swim furiously upstream


up the apple trees & cherry trees, we are climbing

bitter fruits & gourds are trampled down


my eyes feast on pumpkins, squash & hefty produce

despite acrid news & hateful discourse


this season of colors - bloody red & stark lemon - 

clashes with winter's grey & gloom 


give me unfinished pages, incomplete stories, rounded as pears-

my pen is needle sharp


                                                                       Heron, Credit River, Mississauga City


Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - Breaking up the Couple(t).  Join us when the pub doors open at 3pm EST.  


12 comments:

  1. I love all the jarring in the couplet, matching the wonder of the pumkins and the trampling of gourds, the winter darkness with the brightness of colors. I think it speaks of the complexity of life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both wrote about autumn, Grace, and I especially enjoyed the colours and fruitfulness of your poem, the wind ‘slow dancing while geese head south’ and that final couplet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. some beautiful examples of the divorced couplets(1) especially striking is
    "up the apple trees & cherry trees, we are climbing

    bitter fruits & gourds are trampled down"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! The contrasts work so beautifully, Grace. And as always your imagery is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome poem and prompt, Grace! I liked all the examples of the broken couplets that you laid out in the prompt, but I most enjoyed the final line...wowza! 🧡

    ReplyDelete
  6. "give me unfinished pages, incomplete stories, rounded as pears-

    my pen is needle sharp"

    Indeed al that change happening is stimulus to any aware poet
    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a harshness to fall...and breaking up couplets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice imagery. I especially enjoyed the second couplet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love where you went with your broken couplets. Your poetry has captured autumn in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the movement in this, Grace. And the contrast in this couplet:

    "a heron stands stone-stilled along Credit River-
    salmon swim furiously upstream"

    and the ready desire to write in the last one:

    "give me unfinished pages, incomplete stories, rounded as pears-
    my pen is needle sharp"

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!