Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Insomniac

Let us talk about insomnia

at 3:15 am.   A dark bird sits on my bed


& wants to talk about his ambition.   I am 

curious, where does ambition come from?


Is it a seed that suddently grows into

giant tree out of my head?  Is it a slow


painting of canvas, taking shape, defining my face?

The bird wants to climb Japan's Mount Fiji.


The bird wants the fancy feathers of peacock.

And fling himself to the moon.


His ambition is burning his feet after jumping

over fire stones after piercing the hornet's nest


Well I had enough of the bird chatter dream

I want to talk about my ambition - that 


fire within me that refuses to die when an idea

Comes to me, like a buzzing bee 


over the blooming yellow daffodils

Deafening sounds, lively chitter-chatter  


As my heartbeat is running faster and 

faster.  Sleep is forgotten library book.  


My feet are itching for calm after 

leaping into the air, like a gazelle


bounding out to the open fields

My spine tingles as if a lover's touch


stole my sleepy head.   Finally 

dawn comes with pink hues and holds


a giant mirror to my small idea bulb, 

now scribbled with crooked arrows.   Will I survive 


the scrunity of harsh reality? Dark bird, remind me 

again, where does ambition come from?    


Come to me in circles.  

Come to me, piercing my bosom.





Posted for dVerse Poets Pub- Poetics hosted by Sanaa Rizvi.   The theme is Maggie Smith and Conversational Mode of Address.  Thanks for your comments and visits.

10 comments:

  1. This is a really wonderful story of how the poem grows... it is a poem of a poem really in my view, the black bird wishing for peacock feathers is a great view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sleep is forgotten library book," yes .. this is such a powerful description of how insomnia truly is. Thank you so much for writing to the prompt, Grace 💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wholly taken by the emblazoning imagery of bird, flower, fire, tree, enraptured by every detail, Grace. A brilliant poem, a gorgeous read,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem speaks to me, Grace, as someone who wakes up pretty much every morning around 3:15 am. I love the idea of a dark bird sitting on your bed that ‘wants to talk about his ambition’, and the way that develops from a seed, to a painting, and all the things the bird wants to do or be! I also love the ‘aside’: ‘sleep is forgotten library book’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this. The bird keeping you from sleep wanting to talk about ambition made me chuckle. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how evocative your poem is. The transition from the ambition of the bird to your own as poet is so striking! Beautiful write, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous, Grace! The burning ambition to write is metaphorically a chattering bird that keeps us awake...yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WELL, Dear Grace .... it's no wonder sleep escaped you! That chatterbox of a nuisance would not stop, however if it had ... we would not have your lovely poetry.

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!