Tuesday, October 22, 2024

rhythm of autumn


autumn, autumn, sway us away

fading yellow to the ground, moist 

with rain, our leaves & blooms paler

than the waning apple-cidered moon 


autumn, autumn, swirl us away

turning darker red & black purple each

passing hour, we gently accept as  

our summer golden skin turn to ash


autumn, autumn swing us away

knitting our fears of change, we are 

changing, from fullness to emptiness-

we collect new words for sorrow


autumn, autumn, swirl us away

into the rhythm of life & pulse of death

we succumb, grateful for blessings 

from trees, warmth from dying sunlight



Posted for dVerse Poets Pub:   Poetics:   Of Mantras, Repetita Juvant, hosted by Dora.   Please join us when the pub doors open at 3pm EST.  Thanks for your visits and comments. 


13 comments:

  1. This is exquisite, Grace! I especially love this part; "autumn, autumn, sway us away fading yellow to the ground, moist with rain." ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the way you used repetition here, I have passed that part of autumn mostly.... alas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you capture the rhythm of autumn, Grace, not only in the repetition of the word, but also in the line lengths and meter. I love the ‘waning apple-cidered moon’ and ‘the rhythm of life & pulse of death’.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed this. You swirl us away with the rhythm of your words, Grace, and the creation of an atmosphere both wistful and anticipatory. Distinctive use of repetition, Grace. It achieves its purpose naturally, moving with each rise of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially like "apple-cidered moon" and "our summer golden skin(s) turn to ash." Vivid and original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do so love these lines ...

    knitting our fears of change, we are
    changing, from fullness to emptiness-
    we collect new words for sorrow

    Autumn is such a time of change, isn't it 💕

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as I love summer, it is time for it to go for now. I do feel your genuine affection for it, pled in a gentle way, to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful way to use repetition gives it such a light rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If autumn does anything, it swirls and sways and whirls things away. Perceptive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luv most of all the rhythm of this poem.
    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!