Monday, June 25, 2018

Mothering the mother



I hold my first grandson, who is 1 month old in my arms.  His whole face and sleepy frame speaks of innocence and trust. I really have to get used to being called a Grandma now.  The cycle of life loops.  I am transported back to the past, back to time I first held my first born in April.   We stayed in my family's ancestral home during my maternity leave. It was a hot summer month, yet I felt soothed by the  abundance of mango, papaya and banana trees around the house.  It was the season of ripeness and the house buzzed with energy. 

As a first time mother, I was excited to dive into my new role.  I followed the doctor's instructions and kept a diary.   If my son would cry or have a bum stomach, my mother and grandmother and I would have a quick meeting and discuss solutions.  It was a "mother's conference only" and I was lucky to benefit from their wisdom.  My mother's wings were wet, but I flew confidently with their wind sails beneath me.     

My son burps his baby, cradling him with strength of giant willow tree.         


chickadees frolic
as tropical heat dries blankets- 
i smell - milk & sunshine -  


Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - Haibun Monday, hosted by Jilly.   
Thanks for the visit ~

24 comments:

  1. I love the smell of milk and sunshine... and the change with a father burping a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about mothering (and true fathering) should be considered fodder for haiku. There is more nature in nurture that anywhere else. Your haibun is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so wonderfully tender and really have a sense of peace about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely wonderful and made me smile with memories. Oh yes...the tender smell of sunshine and milk....and the softness of that baby's skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure a life loop indeed. Congrats on being a grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like holding a new born grandchild. Love the haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely - I especially liked your last line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 daughters and now 8 grandchildren have provided ample "smells of milk and sunshine"; lots of breast feeding and toddler's tantrums. I adored your poem. It centered me, and transported me out of my daily Trump frump.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice last paragraph about cradling your grandson with "strength of giant willow tree".

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing to hold your grandson. It must be surreal! And a wonderful blessing too. Lol! I remember my wet wings too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this, Grace...the wonder, the memories, the way life loops around. Yes, it takes a little time to get used to being called "Grandma" but what an amazing role it is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely sharing of a special time. I had no children of my own but went out to stay with my sister right after she had one of her babies so got to share that wonderful experience. They put him in my room! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful and I am so sincere when I say: thank you for sharing. You've brought something warm and new and fresh to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Grace! The milk & sunshine sum up your experience. Nothing compares with Grandmotherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this, Grace! It's familiar and wonderful! As you know, I visited my baby grandson at the weekend.
    I also have to get used to being called Nanny! I love the phrase 'the season of ripeness' and
    'as tropical heat dries blankets-
    i smell - milk & sunshine'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First grandson! Congrats Grace! A newfound distraction will take a lot of the free time of the Grandma than the Mom. That is normally the case

    Hank
    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely lovely. Heartwarming.

    Jane (Lady Nyo)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was so wonderful as my most favorite poems to read these days describe the tenderness and timelessness of mothers' love. The time lapse between your second and third paragraphs was seamless as the sensibility was the same, one baby, one generation, to the next. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful haibun, Grace! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats, Grace! A lovely poem filled with 'milk and sunshine'

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so tender and lovely. The season of ripeness is so apt for this moment and the metaphor of your mother's wings is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved this. Especially "My son burps his baby, cradling him with strength of giant willow tree"

    ReplyDelete
  23. sMiLes Grace Happy
    no one deleted your
    Effort or even
    pointed it
    out..
    for
    following the rules..
    it's just ironic
    when
    Art
    Becomes
    Science but
    waiT! aGAIN
    that's the Next
    PRompt! i screWed uP AGAiN..;)

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!