Monday, October 30, 2017

petals of kindness


The city can harden your heart due to the toil of everyday labor and from beggars who make begging their job.   So when I witness acts of kindness from total strangers in the subway train, like giving up their seats for others, it reminds me that courtesy and kindness still abounds.    One even went out of her way to console a teary-eyed commuter.   When I have a chance, I give up my seat too when needed or share a tissue or pen when asked.   I believe in paying it forward, because I too was a recipient of kindness.  Years ago, I needed some coins for my bus home and wanted to break my $5.00 bill.  The woman offered her $1.00 coin, smiling and chatting with me and didn't asked for anything.  A small token, but a precious reminder - the seeds of kindness are everyone's reach.   

whiff of cold wind sends 
shivers of winter's dread- the dead
leaves petal the soil
         



Posted for dVerse Poets Pub - Haibun Monday, hosted by Toni, Kanzensakura, where the theme is kindness and the prose part is 150 words or less.  Thanks for the visit ~

19 comments:

  1. I love your message & your sharing. Kindness of, or to strangers is both a privilege and a pitfall. I admire your clarity about it. I become conflicted, and struggle a bit more.l

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw my first snow flake yesterday. Today it is just the wind tearing most of the leaves from their perch to petal the earth. I like petal as the verb there in your haiku.

    There is a tension that exists between being a witness and being the one. When we step into those moments and open ourselves up to others by offering help, we open ourselves up to become part of their story - for better or worse. Life can be messy.

    Each one has its place. Even the dying leaf paves the way for future growth by becoming part of the soil. Even when we think we have nothing left to give.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. It is a privilege to accept kindness. I totally with agree with Friend X. A nice clear accounting of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kindness is so much in those little things... somehow I think it's what I remember most of reading about disasters. When we true need we will offer up our homes, give money, share a ride, actually most of us really want to be kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice description of receiving help. Simple acts of kindness remind us who we are. I think this goes beyond "altruism" which is one individual helping another individual, but kindness is a person in a community helping the community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful prose. I shivered with cold at your haiku

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, lovely frosty haiku - with that petal reminding us that spring will come back. Love your accounts of kindness, and the reminder that small acts can mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kindness can come at times, even when all we see is crap around us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Petals of kindness have the sweetest perfume, especially on a commute and when there's a whiff of cold wind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great reminder that kindness can be in the smallest of acts, like giving up one's seat. I love the way you used petal as a verb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I appreciate the different acts of kindness witnessed and experienced in your haibun. Also your honesty that some behavior might give you pause when it comes to opening up. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. But it's a marvelous feeling when we do pay it forward in a genuine situation. A nice read.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely reminder - splendidly conveyed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great witness to the importance of kindness--well told with meaningful prose and evocative haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is gratifying to see kindness in others, so we know that it still exists out there in this winter world. Lovely, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crowds can bring out our apathy --to nurture kindness there is an art. Well said

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love moments like that, the open-handed giving of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The same acts of kindness remind us that there is still good in the world. Loved your haiku about approaching winter

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!